Wednesday, July 17, 2019

"Tai chi fights stress, getting popular with Millennials"


Millennials are taking up tai chi to reduce stress and become more "grounded."

"Computer tech people, they love tai chi. It's a good destresser for them: sitting hours behind a keyboard, hunched over doing programming," Dunn said. "A lot of these people are more introverted. They like that gentle nature of tai chi that doesn't have sparring and hitting bags."

....At the end of the tai chi class on Long Beach's Signal Hill, York says he brings his practice with him everywhere he goes.
"If I'm feeling agitated, it's a good lesson for me to remember to slow down and tune in with my breath. I do tai chi to get back into myself and to my center, because throughout the week, the world will pull us in different directions," York said. "I think tai chi is great for younger people because it forces you to disconnect from the world around you." Hoover agrees. "We all need a practice, whether it's tai chi or something else, that allows us to slow down." 
Read the whole article at CNN.